Most people tend to go for standard black, grey and navy at work. They are flattering colours, you don’t have to think about the colours clashing and its easy to style. But, you know what’s wrong with it? It’s boring. It is boring for the people you work with and its boring for clients.
Colours are my simple fix for when I’m feeling a little ‘stale’ or stressed out at work. Sounds really silly I know, but it actually cures Mondayitis.
I know some of you have fairly conservative or strict work dress codes, but it doesn’t mean you have to forgo any type of colour and dress like your mood. I’m going to share with you a few really quick ideas how to pep up your colour wardrobe and also your mood.
- Easy peasy necklaces and earrings (although never at the same time my dear) Go for a statement necklace I love Samantha Wills’ collections and also Collette by Collette Hayman if you’re on a budget and in Australia. You can go for the big fake jewel looking necklaces and earrings if you absolutely can’t do colour or you can go for a more simple colourful necklace. It lifts the whole outfit and makes it a little more playful but you still get to keep your conservative tailoring, lines and hem lengths!
2. Shoes. My favourites. I never need an excuse to buy new shoes but if in doubt, I tell myself it’s because I don’t have some in that particular colour. So go and up your shoe game. Even interesting patterns/textures can go a long way if you’re not daring enough to go for a colour pop just yet.
3. Scarves, and not just your warm winter essentials either. Thankfully silk neck scarves and ties are making a comeback. Super cute bow at your neck or simple draped around your colour brings life to a dreary outfit. The silk scarves are also a fantastic way of still keeping cool in summer but making sure that you have the appropriate level of clothing on. By tying one in a bow around your neck it can make a neckline that was bordering on unsuitable suddenly professional again.
4. Nail polish. If you sit at your desk all day this is a fabulous way to put a smile on your face. You’ll be looking at your bright little nails all day and if you keep a smells-so-good-I-could-eat-it hand cream next to you, I promise it’s the easiest way to make you smile. Plus a good mani always puts us in a good mood. Try Shellac or Gel polishes so you don’t get any peeling or chips to keep your digits in tip top condition.
5. last but not least your outfit. If you work in a more casual setting or the dress code is not so corporate strict then go for some bright colours when you’re next out shopping. Make sure the fit is comfortable though and it lets you do everything you need to at work because in order for you to pull off bright colours you need to feel confident in what you’re wearing.
Have a look at my Instagram 925wear for some colour blocking inspo!